Special Collections
LSU Libraries
spacer
Home / Online Catalog Site A-Z Help    
   

 

WALL-PETTIBONE FAMILY PAPERS

(Mss. 3344)

Contents of Inventory

Summary

Biographical/ Historical Note

Scope and Content Note

Index Terms

Summary

Size. 15 items.

Geographic Louisiana, Mississippi.
locations.

Dates. 1795-1889.

Bulk 1877-1889.
dates.

Language. English, Spanish.

Summary. Land documents showing ownership of the Richland Plantation in Wilkinson County, Mississippi, by the Pettibone and Wall families.

Related Evans (Nathaniel and Family) Papers (Mss. #670)
collections. Carondelet (Francisco L. H.) Papers (Mss. #59)

Source. Indefinite loan.

Access. No restrictions.

Citation. Wall-Pettibone Family Papers, Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections, LSU Libraries, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Stack Misc:W
designation.
 

Biographical/Historical Note

John Wall, an early settler in the Spanish district of Natchez, received land from the Spanish in 1795; this land became the Richland Plantation, in Wilkinson County, Mississippi. Chauncey Pettibone owned the Richland Plantation from 1820 until he passed it on to his children at the time of his death. Chauncey Pettibone was married to Susan Pettibone and had two children, Henry B. and Sarah B. Pettibone. Henry B. Pettibone's daughter, Mary L. Pettibone, married Evans S. Wall in 1881, becoming Mary P. Wall. In the 1880's, Mary P. Wall owned at least 555 arpents of land on the Richland Plantation.
 
 

Scope and Content Note

The papers are arranged chronologically and document the land ownership of the Wall and Pettibone families, 1795-1889. The earliest documentation relates to the Spanish land grant of 500 arpents of land in the Natchez District to John Wall in 1795 and includes papers signed by Francisco Luis Hector, Baron de Carondelet. A legal document of 1820 records that Chauncey Pettibone of Concordia Parish, Louisiana, purchased the Richland Plantation, which included 1,070 acres and all slaves, livestock, and equipment on the property. This land was part of the original Spanish grant to Wall. A United States land grant documents that another 382 acres of the Spanish land grant was deeded to Samuel Woods (d. 1833 or 1834) in 1833. In 1834, Chauncey Pettibone purchased half of Woods' land from the administrators of Samuel Woods' estate, Robert L. Brandon and Joanna Woods. Documents dated 1877 show that Chauncey Pettibone's son, Henry B. Pettibone, sold his property to Robert L. Brandon. A plat of Richland Plantation (1883) shows its dimensions and the lines of the original Spanish land grants. Documents from the 1880s reflect subsequent sales of land by Annie P. Merwin, George W. Merwin, and Robert L. Brandon and purchases by Mary P. Wall and Annie P. Merwin. The papers include the marriage license of Evans S. Wall and Mary L. Pettibone.
 
 

Index Terms

Wall, John.
Pettibone, Chauncey.
Pettibone, Henry B.
Wall, Mary P.
Brandon, Robert L.
Carondelet, Luis Hector, baron de, 1748-1807.
Richland Plantation (Miss.)
Wilkinson County (Miss.)--History.