Interlibrary Lending Policies
Interlibrary Loan & Delivery Services
Types of Requests
- Requests received via OCLC preferred. We loan to most non-profit libraries and museums. We reserve the right to deny any request.
- ALA form by mail or email (if no OCLC access).
- Email requests accepted (if no OCLC access). These requests must include a complete citation, as well as the email and shipping address of the designated library.
- We do not accept personal requests; requests must come through a library or related professional support agency.
Material is due back to us 120 days from the date the request was shipped.
Loan periods are 120 days, so no renewals are allowed.
Overdues - Effective Date 12/6/2013
- One overdue notice will be sent each month for the first three months that the material is past due.
- At six months past due (or earlier if requested by borrower), the first invoice will be sent and the borrowing library will be blocked in ILLiad.
- Standard Charge: $30.00 Processing Fee + $70.00 Replacement Fee* = $100 Total Charge
*Replacement fee may be greater depending upon cost and ease of replacement.
- Once material has been received back from borrower and/or invoice has been paid, ILLiad privileges will be restored. Fees may be reduced depending upon circumstances of return.
Types of Materials Loaned
(Maximum of eight requests accepted per day; please evenly disperse your borrowing requests with other libraries)
We reserve the right to refuse any request
- Master's Theses
- Microfilm (positives only)
- Proceedings and Book Series
- Audio-visual (excluding LPs)
- Reference Materials
Types of Materials Not Loaned
- Rare Items
- Reserve Materials
- Material that has been in the collection less than four months
- Newspapers and serials on microfiche/microfilm newer than five years do not circulate
- U.S. Census Materials
- Micro-Opaque, Micro-Cards, Micro-Guides
- LPs (vinyl records)
- Most printed material housed in Special Collections in Hill Library.
- Material held by the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine Library (VETMED). It is a separate library. Their borrowing code is LBD.
- Material held by the LSU Law Library. It is a separate library. Their borrowing code is LUL.
- All requests for photocopies must be accompanied by copyright compliance.
- We do not have equipment to make copies from micro-opaque, micro-card, or micro-guides.
- The maximum number of pages scanned per request is 150, but no more that 10% of entire material.
- Photocopies cannot be made from thesis or disseration.
- $20.00 (plus shipping for international libraries)
- $15.00: 1 - 150 pages
- The lost item charge is the cost of the item plus a $30.00 processing fee. If a replacement cost cannot be determined, the charge will be $70.00 plus the $30.00 processing fee, for a total of $100.00.
- Loans are shipped by US mail at the library rate.
- Special shipping is considered upon request, at the borrowing library's expense, either by Federal Express or UPS with an account number provided by the borrowing library or payment in advance using an Internal library invoice for UPS or First Class Mail.
Methods of Payment for Charges
- IFM (preferred) or invoice
- Credit cards: MasterCard and Visa only. No personal credit cards.
- IFLA Vouchers
- Reciprocating network affiliates are exempt from charges.
- RapidILL, LaLinc, ASERL, SEC, and SOLINE (exempt from fee for "returnables" only)
International RequestsBack to top
International requests should be submitted through OCLC. If the borrowing library does not have access to OCLC, requests can be submitted by email: email@example.com
The total cost will include our lending fee, plus shipping. Borrowing libraries will be notified beforehand of the total cost and asked to fill out, sign, and return an International ILL Verification Form (which we will supply to you). Invoices will be mailed with loans and emailed for copies. IFLA payment is preferred. Other forms of accepted payment include: U.S. dollar payment with international money order or check drawn on U.S. bank funds; MasterCard or Visa.
Interlibrary Loan Code for the United StatesBack to top