The Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections houses a number of political papers collections, with an emphasis on elected officials at the state and national levels. The collection includes the personal papers of many of the most important figures in the political history of the region, including those of Huey Long, Russell Long, and other Long family members. The collection also contains papers focusing on party politics and individuals associated with political office, such as political consultants, staff members, lobbying groups, and state-wide parties.
Finding Aids for Political Papers
- Aswell, James B. Family Papers (Mss. 1408, 1426, 1468, 1483, 1620, 1621)
- Bagwell, Harrison G. Collection (Mss. 2840)
- Breaux, John B. Papers (Mss. 4922)
- Brooks, Overton T. Papers (Mss 2492, 2520)
- Gay, Edward J. III Congressional File (Mss. 1295)
- Gay, Edward J. Gay and Family Papers (Mss. 1295)
- Johnston, J. Bennett Collection (Mss. 4473)
- Long, Catherine S. Papers (Mss. 4051)
- Long, Gillis Papers (Mss. 4050)
- Long, Russell B. Collection (Mss. 3700)
- Moore, Henson Papers (Mss. 4100)
Sen. John Breaux Project
In 2004, former Senator John Breaux (D-LA) donated his congressional papers to the LSU Libraries Special Collections, and the following year, processing of the collection began, thanks to a $297,600 grant from the U. S. Department of Education. The grant ended in October, and processing of the majority of the collection is complete. Read more...