Reading Room Policies
Special Collections materials are open to all who desire to consult them; no affiliation with LSU is required. However, to protect materials and ensure that they will be available for future use, visitors must respect the following rules:
- Sign in and present a photo ID on each visit.
- Fill out a registration form on your first visit and read the “Rules for Handling Materials.”
- Bags, briefcases, purses, notebooks, file folders, and coats must be left in a secure locker.
- No food, drink, or pens are allowed in the Reading Room.
- With very few exceptions, materials may not be taken out of the building.
- Shelving areas are not open to the public. Requested items are retrieved by staff for use in the reading room.
- Some materials are stored offsite and may require advance notice for retrieval.
- Unprocessed materials may not be used without a curator's permission.
What can I bring into the Reading Room?
- A pencil and two pieces of paper (additional paper is available).
- Laptop computers, cameras, and cellphones.
If additional materials are required for your research, please consult the staff member at the Information Desk in the lobby. Be aware that anything brought into the Reading Room is subject to search before you leave.